A "Black Swan Event" is when the unexpected occurs, causing a huge mindshift and change in how the world works. People never imagined that Black Swans existed, until the discovery of the first Black Swan... (as per book "The Black Swan", by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, 2007, that sold over 3 million copies)

Is a perception change the next Black Swan Event? Consider that by changing perception we might change the world. Look at everyday things from different angles. Find beauty in the unexpected...
Change our thinking, change our actions, change our world!

See that all people are part of God's puzzle and have something to give. Black swans do exist. The ugly duckling was actually a swan who needed to discover himself and where he fitted and be who he was meant to be. To the last, the lost and the least, you are beautiful as you are.
May all who visit this page feel God's touch and experience His blessing...

Sunday 30 December 2012

Being God's Hands and Feet

Do you know that people are God's hands and feet? I have heard this message preached at various churches, on a few occasions. God, I am sure, does not want to see anyone who is lonely or hungry or in need of shelter and He will make sure to send people who can help when He is called upon to do so. But, was I perhaps the one He first sent to someone when I may have walked on by? This is a sobering thought. It is sobering because I may have been able to help someone who I let down and I may have let God down in the process and because perhaps I failed a test God gave me. How much sooner could change happen if we all take the first opportunity to help others? When we walk past hurting people or people in need, we miss opportunity to do God's work.

As with any subject, there is more than one way to view this topic, of course. Each one of us has finite resources to call upon, whether this be money or emotional resources or safety, and sometimes helping other people may place the helper in harm's way. We cannot help everyone we see in need or we would be a wreck ourselves.

How are we to accomplish God's goals? I wonder if there would be a worldwide change if each one of us ups our contribution to help others slightly. An example is, if you are currently not donating money to charity, perhaps donate a regular $10 a month to an organisation, or even $10 a year. No amount is too small, as it is more than the charity is already getting. And what might seem like a small amount to you, not even worth giving, might be more money than someone else earns in a week. Think of it this way: have you ever heard of people siphoning off cents / pennies from Bank accounts and making millions in the process from money no-one even missed? It is amazing how small amounts of money from many sources can have an exponential effect when massed together. Another example is, if someone tells you that she is having a problem getting her life organised, especially cleaning her house, ask her how you can help, for example, perhaps you could help her work out ways to get organised, or help her with some cleaning at her house. No-one likes uncalled for advice or help, and you will need her consent before any help is given, but you may also find all she really wanted is someone to listen to her.

I wonder too if we should make more use of charity organisations instead of walking past because we think we can't help someone ourselves? Many of these organisations have a large infrastructure and extensive network already in place to help people and, if you see someone in need, point the person to these organisations. These organisations need resources, especially money and time, and I may not be able or willing to help someone on a personal level myself, but I could indirectly help people by donating to these organisations and thereby use charities as a vehicle to help others. Not all of you who are reading this will be hands on helpers, willing or able to help someone with counselling or making food, but you can direct funds to where they are needed and where people are in place with the skills to do these tasks. Some charity organisations are able to ask governments for more funding if they are able to substantiate a case for more need than they are currently meeting.

I fully believe donating money to charity is a legitimate way to think of yourself as playing a part of the charity's work. I have heard some people say to me I must start my own charity organisation, because look at what others have accomplished, showing me examples of someone else's charity. But if we were all starting charities, how would they function? Each charity that is visible must be upheld by contributions from thousands of unseen people and must be underpinned by a network of staff and helpers playing various roles. I would actually like to see charities coming together to form powerful forces for change, rather than smaller charities using divided resources, but all have a part to play, and would not survive if there was no market need for them or no supporters for the cause. I have heard others tell me writing doesn't mean much and I must put my words into action, but I am a writer and a planner and I do best at a desk job. Each person is different. Why set yourself up for failure by striving to be someone you are not? This will leave you feeling hopelessly inadequate. I donate small amounts to organisations I believe in and I leave other actions to the people best suited to this.

If each one of us makes small changes then hope will spread. I write this article with the hopes that you, individuals out there everywhere in the world, are inspired to contribute in a few additional small ways to make the world a better place.

May God bless all of you this New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment