A "Black Swan Event" is when the unexpected occurs, causing a huge mindshift and change in how the world works. People never imagined that Black Swans existed, until the discovery of the first Black Swan... (as per book "The Black Swan", by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, 2007, that sold over 3 million copies)

Is a perception change the next Black Swan Event? Consider that by changing perception we might change the world. Look at everyday things from different angles. Find beauty in the unexpected...
Change our thinking, change our actions, change our world!

See that all people are part of God's puzzle and have something to give. Black swans do exist. The ugly duckling was actually a swan who needed to discover himself and where he fitted and be who he was meant to be. To the last, the lost and the least, you are beautiful as you are.
May all who visit this page feel God's touch and experience His blessing...

Saturday 3 March 2012

My Tin Shack

There are countless poor people amongst us. Here's a perspective of the life of one person who lives in a shanty, part of Soweto. I made a few last minute changes before the competition ended, and it could have been a bit better, but overall I am happy with my character. Hopefully there's enough building description! This is the 300 word piece of writing, an entry into a building description competition:

I wake with a start as soon as I hear the rooster crowing loudly, and roll out of my tattered mattress. The Highveld chill permeates this tiny tin structure I call home. I left the paraffin lamp burning during the night, and the pungent smell hangs heavily around my nostrils. I push the door open. The cold steel is ice against my brown, work-rough fingers. Creeaawk. The bottom scrapes roughly across the floor. I peer out the door and see the sun peeping over the horizon, sending copper fingers questing, spreading, over this sprawling township of Soweto, in South Africa. Life is starting all around me. Parallel lives. I edge outside to fetch water from the dripping tap, and trip over the dog lying sprawled across the barren soil. "Hai wena!" I curse at him. I glance across at my home as I fill the bucket with water. It's haphazard, leaning slightly, but somehow maintaining rectangular shape. Rust dots the tired roof on one side, where rain water tends to gather. Tin shines in the orange glow. I hurry inside, shivering, and am met by gloom. There are no windows. I light a candle. Light flickers and bounces across the tin walls. I see the small desk and mirror and picture I was given by my madam, the one who lives in the mansion in Northcliff. She wouldn't even let her dog sleep in this little place! I laugh. This is home! I have a sanctuary. I have a roof. I've started my vegetable patch outside, the plants slowly pushing hard soil aside. I don't pay rates! I am happy. Someday I'm going to be famous. Maybe I'll get this job today. There's always hope! Eish, but this place is dusty! I grab the broomstick and start sweeping, dust flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment