A "Black Swan Event" is when the unexpected occurs, causing a huge mindshift and change in how the world works. People never imagined that Black Swans existed, until the discovery of the first Black Swan... (as per book "The Black Swan", by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, 2007, that sold over 3 million copies)

Is a perception change the next Black Swan Event? Consider that by changing perception we might change the world. Look at everyday things from different angles. Find beauty in the unexpected...
Change our thinking, change our actions, change our world!

See that all people are part of God's puzzle and have something to give. Black swans do exist. The ugly duckling was actually a swan who needed to discover himself and where he fitted and be who he was meant to be. To the last, the lost and the least, you are beautiful as you are.
May all who visit this page feel God's touch and experience His blessing...

Monday 29 April 2013

Grabbing Opportunity: Evonne Goolagong

Today I happened across a book called, The Evonne Goolagong Story. This looks interesting, I thought. I wonder what it's about? So I googled the woman's name, and discovered that Evonne Goolagong, who came from an Australian Aboriginal background, was a very successful player in the 1970s and 1980s and became the number one player in the world for a couple of weeks in April, 1976--a fact only discovered 31 years later! I used to watch tennis as a young girl, and I played the game a bit too, and I especially loved to watch Wimbledon, when players like Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova were battling for the crown. Yet I don't recall the name Evonne Goolagong. Perhaps she reached her peak a bit before my interest in watching tennis really started. I see Evonne played in South Africa in 1972, and was accorded honorary white status for her visit so she would avoid non-white discrimination. Yes, that made me cringe! Sounds like what used to happen in South Africa, though things are very different now!

What really intrigued me about this story is that Evonne might never have played tennis if someone had not kindled her interest in the game. A man called Bill Kurtzman saw her watching tennis when she was a young girl and encouraged her to try playing the game and the rest is history. If someone had not given her the opportunity, would Evonne ever have discovered her innate talent for tennis and sport?

I rejoice in her story as much as I can't help feeling a touch of sadness too, as there are many young children like Evonne out there, from widely varied backgrounds, both rich and poor, who might never know the real talent they possess unless they are given their own chance moment of discovery. It worries me that my own children might miss their real calling because I fail to spot their talent, or because I don't take them to try out something that might be their real calling and passion. If Evonne had not played tennis, what would her life have looked like? Probably very different! Maybe she would never have tried another sport, or maybe she would have excelled at something else.

I do believe God guides us along our path, but sometimes we miss what He is saying to us. Thinking back, I wonder too about the many opportunities I may have missed when I was a young girl, due to a variety of complex factors. Try not to overlook your own children's real passion. Sometimes the window of opportunity is small! Try to kindle passion. Try to see where their interest lies. They may never be number one in the world ever at anything, but make sure they are happy doing what they love to do!

I hope you are listening and watching out so you may spot talent others may be missing in those around you!

No comments:

Post a Comment