A "Black Swan Event" is when the unexpected occurs, causing a huge mindshift and change in how the world works. People never imagined that Black Swans existed, until the discovery of the first Black Swan... (as per book "The Black Swan", by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, 2007, that sold over 3 million copies)

Is a perception change the next Black Swan Event? Consider that by changing perception we might change the world. Look at everyday things from different angles. Find beauty in the unexpected...
Change our thinking, change our actions, change our world!

See that all people are part of God's puzzle and have something to give. Black swans do exist. The ugly duckling was actually a swan who needed to discover himself and where he fitted and be who he was meant to be. To the last, the lost and the least, you are beautiful as you are.
May all who visit this page feel God's touch and experience His blessing...

Tuesday 2 April 2013

Unexpected Goodbyes

I walked into my child's classroom this morning, expecting to see her usual teacher. I knew her teacher was only supposed to be working there for the first term, and then my daughter would be getting another teacher, but my daughter  told me unexpectedly yesterday that she will  have a new teacher after the Easter break, a few weeks before term one ends. I thought she must be mistaken and somehow I still expected to see the same teacher standing there this morning, the one I have gotten used to, but there was this different teacher. Hopefully her first teacher is off for some reason today, not because she is never returning, but maybe she has already spent her last day at the school and I missed it.

Why does this bother me? Well, I will miss the teacher and I do not know what happened to her. I will have to ask where she is, perhaps this afternoon when things are not as rushed, and especially now that I have had a moment to think about it. I have had a few chats with the teacher during the year, and have grown to really like her. She knows my daughter and her personality quirks.

Most importantly though, I did not say goodbye. Did anyone else in the class say goodbye to the past teacher? I like to know when people are leaving. I would have liked to get her a farewell card or a gift. I hope my daughter said goodbye. Or will the teacher just disappear, without a goodbye, as happens so often these days in society? It really bothers me.

It's a lesson that we do not always know when we may see another person. Even if we see someone regularly, the next visit may not be guaranteed. People say goodbyes all the time, and sometimes there is no tangible goodbye. When I moved countries I shocked a few people with my unexpected news, but at least I did say goodbye. In the case of the teacher, I do not know what has happened to her, or if she will be waiting there tomorrow so we can still say goodbye. I hope she is there tomorrow.

My advice is, firstly, to appreciate people while you have them around you, and secondly, to digress somewhat, never ever base your decision on whether to stay or leave somewhere because of a person, especially a decision regarding where you work and where you live, unless it's really close family or someone you are marrying. The person you stay to be with, or move to be with, may decide to leave you sometime, for example, the manager you adore working for may emigrate or resign when a new job offer comes along. You may still be able to remain in contact with people who leave, but don't live your life clinging to other people. Try to say goodbye when you can, try to stay in touch when you can, but appreciate people while you have them around as they may leave you unexpectedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment