A "Black Swan Event" is when the unexpected occurs, causing a huge mindshift and change in how the world works. People never imagined that Black Swans existed, until the discovery of the first Black Swan... (as per book "The Black Swan", by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, 2007, that sold over 3 million copies)

Is a perception change the next Black Swan Event? Consider that by changing perception we might change the world. Look at everyday things from different angles. Find beauty in the unexpected...
Change our thinking, change our actions, change our world!

See that all people are part of God's puzzle and have something to give. Black swans do exist. The ugly duckling was actually a swan who needed to discover himself and where he fitted and be who he was meant to be. To the last, the lost and the least, you are beautiful as you are.
May all who visit this page feel God's touch and experience His blessing...

Saturday 4 August 2012

When Ideas Take Flight

I read many things during the course of a day, especially through social media, or in online newspapers, or blogs I may stumble upon. How much of what I read colours the direction of my next thoughts? Do I stop and thank, or acknowledge, everyone who's thoughts I read and then use in different ways?
Not usually, especially if it is a random idea. A sentence may spark a thought, and I come back to my blog and I start writing, as I have done now; ironically this time because I read words someone wrote, and I recognised "my material" in this new expression of writing, and yet she said she is too busy to have read anything I sent her. And she will not be the first and only person to do this, especially if my book becomes more widely read. Yet, would someone do this intentionally, I mean purposely ignoring someone, yet knowingly using the person's ideas? Perhaps, but often the usage of ideas is an unconscious process, and we may think we come up with our changed thoughts on our own, forgetting what we have read. This is akin to leadership--the best leaders may never be acknowledged, as they lead people gently, and people may think they come up with solutions on their own. I know I may read something and may not give a thought again to the other writer, as my thoughts are my own and I run ahead and write, using my own interpretation of what I have read to give expression to new thoughts. Ideas are out there, all around us. Ideas are to be used and learned from. Ideas have free reign. Ideas are not owned by anyone, though someone may build a livelihood out of one particular idea, especially the expression of an idea. Much of what I have written is knowledge learnt throughout the course of a lifetime, and I don't always remember when I started forming my opinions about some of the topics I write about. Give your own ideas flight, as you do not know who you may influence into thinking a certain way. As for me, a thank you would be nice from someone, anyone, sometimes, but I do know God sees all and He alone is the one I need to look towards. The butterfly effect: will something small I have written spark a tidal wave of hope around the world? I hope so. So while I sometimes wonder why no-one comes back to me and thanks me after reading my thoughts, or acknowledges my part in their changed expression of ideas, I realise I may do the same. And I also know I must thank God for what I write, not use my writing for my own purposes. So when I read someone else's writing and see my thoughts painting the new shades of thought, instead of feeling ignored, I should celebrate a tiny influence spreading. Isn't that why most people write--to give ideas flight? And I also acknowledge, as I have said before on my blog, "If it's good, it's God. If it's bad, it's me", meaning all honour and glory are due to God alone, when things work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment