A "Black Swan Event" is when the unexpected occurs, causing a huge mindshift and change in how the world works. People never imagined that Black Swans existed, until the discovery of the first Black Swan... (as per book "The Black Swan", by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, 2007, that sold over 3 million copies)

Is a perception change the next Black Swan Event? Consider that by changing perception we might change the world. Look at everyday things from different angles. Find beauty in the unexpected...
Change our thinking, change our actions, change our world!

See that all people are part of God's puzzle and have something to give. Black swans do exist. The ugly duckling was actually a swan who needed to discover himself and where he fitted and be who he was meant to be. To the last, the lost and the least, you are beautiful as you are.
May all who visit this page feel God's touch and experience His blessing...

Monday 28 January 2013

Getting the Nod

The following is a fictional example based on real life events: I have spent all week preparing for this morning's presentation and I am going to demo a suggested new paperless system to my manager and my colleagues, a few of whom were involved in assisting with research and preparation. The new system will revolutionise the way we work, making it much more streamlined and efficient. I arrive at the room fifteen minutes early to set up the equipment. When the first of my colleagues arrive I am sitting down nervously, tapping my fingers on the keyboard, eager to begin. My manager walks in as the hour is reached, and I smile at him and I start giving my presentation. A few people walk in late but I pay them no mind. I have only been speaking for a minute or so when my manager interrupts. But Shirley, he says, how long will it take to implement this and I don't see the benefit? A few of my colleagues pipe up briefly in reply, as they back the idea wholeheartedly, but then they stop talking as they see my manager frown. There are a few embarrassed coughs. I hesitate, my manager shakes his head, and the presentation is over. I pack away my laptop slowly as I stare around the empty room once everyone has left. I was so sure he would be interested in the idea. What happened?

Think of a Mexican Wave. Will the Wave be born if only one person stands up in an audience? The Wave needs people to stand up and work together in unison with one accord to be successful, and likewise if you have an idea for positive change it will not happen unless a number of other people are willing to support the idea and create impetus, like a rolling snowball gathering more and more snow as it careens along. I attended a church sermon once where the Pastor made us try out the Mexican Wave as a congregation, and it worked really well to demonstrate this concept, especially to create a festive atmosphere!

Much of success hinges on getting crucial applause. One cannot work forever in a vacuum. Oh, Vincent van Gogh painted his entire life without much validation, so there are exceptions, but how many people will carry on for a lifetime if they do not get validation?

When you stand up to do something, do you get the nod, or do you immediately need to sit back down again? How much more could we get done if more stood up to support their colleagues in implementing positive progress?

No comments:

Post a Comment