A "Black Swan Event" is when the unexpected occurs, causing a huge mindshift and change in how the world works. People never imagined that Black Swans existed, until the discovery of the first Black Swan... (as per book "The Black Swan", by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, 2007, that sold over 3 million copies)

Is a perception change the next Black Swan Event? Consider that by changing perception we might change the world. Look at everyday things from different angles. Find beauty in the unexpected...
Change our thinking, change our actions, change our world!

See that all people are part of God's puzzle and have something to give. Black swans do exist. The ugly duckling was actually a swan who needed to discover himself and where he fitted and be who he was meant to be. To the last, the lost and the least, you are beautiful as you are.
May all who visit this page feel God's touch and experience His blessing...

Wednesday 6 February 2013

The Clean Slate Phenomenon

A fictional story: I hear a voice above my head squealing in excitement, I have the most fabulous idea for a new charity! I glance up into the eager smiling face of Abbey, the sun glinting off her shiny, short brown hair, and I screw up my eyes against the white, harsh sun rays to see more clearly. She looks like she has found the pot of gold on the end of the rainbow, I muse, and actually, I think dryly, she may lift off the ground.

Do I have to get up? I groan. I'm feeling lower than the ocean floor, as if the weight of the sea is crushing me. What's it with me today, and with all these strange metaphors, I wonder. I pick myself off the dusty ground and brush a few stray fragments from my faded blue jeans.

You know how you have always wanted to help that amazing charity cause we spoke about during the holidays? Yes, I say carefully. Well, with this idea, we could do something brand new very quickly! I glance at her computer screen, where she has laid out a few ideas in a well put-together presentation. I see charts with wonderful bright images and impressive numbers fly past, as Abbey says, look here, and look here! And this is the real clincher which I thought of this morning!

Wow, Abbey, I say, perking up a bit. Have you shown this to Joe? He has done a lot of ground work in putting the same type of information together. He's been working on it for years in fact and the two of you would make a great team. I could add some of my own ideas too! I am starting to feel excited that we may finally get some real traction and move forward with fundraising.

Abbey sighs, frustrated. I did show Joe, but he has a fixed mindset and prefers what he has done and won't even look at this presentation. My concept is better anyway, and I don't understand what he has done, that's why I created this all from scratch.

But Abbey, I say, feeling pained, wouldn't it be better if you both leveraged off existing platforms? Think of it like a giant springboard!

Nah, would never work, she mumbles. And do you see me working together with gruff Joe? Hmph.

Let's meet again tomorrow, I say, I need to digest all this. Abbey looks like she needs a break too and her excitement has faded as a balloon popped. I sigh internally as Abbey closes her laptop and walks away, looking dejected.

If only people could work together and leverage off collective existing ideas, I ponder. Imagine how much more progress we would make? I guess people prefer a clean slate. It's easier to get buy in to new ideas people see unfold before them collectively, than to adopt someone else's ideas sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment